The Algonquin cocktail is named after the famous Algonquin Hotel in New York City, where it was created. The hotel was a popular gathering place for writers and intellectuals in the 1920s and 1930s, including Dorothy Parker, who was a regular at the hotel's famous Round Table.
The cocktail itself is a mix of rye whiskey, dry vermouth, and pineapple juice. It is said to have been a favorite of Parker's, who reportedly referred to it as "the only American invention as perfect as a sonnet."
here's the recipe for the Algonquin Cocktail:
Ingredients for the Algonquin Cocktail Recipe:
- 2 oz. rye whiskey
- 3/4 oz. dry vermouth
- 3/4 oz. pineapple juice
- Lemon twist or pineapple wedge (for garnish)
Instructions for how to make a Algonquin Cocktail:
- Fill a shaker with ice.
- Add rye whiskey, dry vermouth, and pineapple juice.
- Shake well for about 10-15 seconds.
- Strain the mixture into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lemon twist or pineapple wedge.
Enjoy your Algonquin Cocktail!