The Adam and Eve cocktail is a classic cocktail made with gin and apple brandy, also known as applejack. The origins of the cocktail are unclear, but it is believed to have been created sometime in the mid-20th century.
The recipe typically calls for equal parts gin and apple brandy, with a small amount of lemon juice and simple syrup added for sweetness and balance. Some variations of the cocktail include adding a dash of orange bitters or a splash of grenadine for added complexity.
The name "Adam and Eve" likely refers to the combination of apple brandy, which is made from apples, and gin, which is made from juniper berries, as a representation of the Garden of Eden. Overall, the Adam and Eve cocktail is a flavorful and refreshing cocktail that is perfect for sipping on a warm summer day.
Here is a recipe for making an Adam and Eve cocktail:
- 1 1/2 oz gin
- 1 1/2 oz apple brandy (also called applejack)
- 1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 oz simple syrup
- Apple slice, for garnish (optional)
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add gin, apple brandy, lemon juice, and simple syrup to the shaker.
- Shake well for about 10-15 seconds.
- Strain the cocktail into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with an apple slice (optional).
- Serve and enjoy!
Note: You can adjust the amount of simple syrup to your taste preference. If you prefer a sweeter cocktail, you can add a bit more simple syrup.