Best Three Negroni Recipes
The Negroni Cocktail was invented over one hundred years ago in Florence Italy. Since the Negroni Cocktail was created all those years ago it has gone from strength to strength and that are now countless Negroni recipe riffs that any other cocktail. We looked a the three most popular Negroni cocktails.
The Classic Negroni Recipe
The Classic Negroni is the one that started it all. When Count Negroni asked the barman in Florence to swap out soda and instead use Gin, he created a truly timeless cocktail.
- 1 Ounce Gin
- 1 Ounce Campari
- 1 Ounce sweet vermouth
- 1 Garnish: orange peel
- Add the gin, Campari and sweet vermouth to a mixing glass filled with ice, and stir until well-chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass filled with large ice cubes.
- Garnish with an orange peel.
The Mezcal Negroni Recipe
The Mezcal Negroni is a riff on the classic and is a very simple but pleasing modification. The Mezcal Negroni recipe is believed to have originated once the Negroni became popular in the United States. Swapping in one of the base ingredients, in this case gin out and Mezcal in, gives the Negroni and smokey and earthy taste instead of the botanical taste from gin.
- 1 ounce mezcal
- 1 ounce Campari
- 1 ounce sweet vermouth
- Garnish: orange half-wheel
- Add the mezcal, Campari and sweet vermouth to a mixing glass with ice and stir until well-chilled
- Strain into a rocks glass over one large ice cube.
- Garnish with an orange half-wheel.
The White Negroni Recipe
The White Negroni is a relatively recent riff on the classic Negroni, having only been invented in 2001. While at a trade show in France, bartender Wayne Collins created the Negroni riff without the Gin and the distinctive red Campari. Collins replaced the two key ingredients with Suze and Lillet Blanc and the cocktails became extremely popular.
- 1 1/2 ounces gin
- 1 ounce Lillet blanc
- 1/2 ounce Suze gentian liqueur
- Garnish: lemon twist
- Add the gin, Lillet blanc and Suze into a mixing glass with ice and stir for 15 to 20 seconds until well-chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.
- Garnish with a lemon twist.