The Admiral Schley Punch cocktail is a drink named after Admiral Winfield Scott Schley, a naval commander in the Spanish-American War. The drink was created by the famous bartender and author of the book "The Gentleman's Companion," Charles H. Baker Jr.
The cocktail is made with a combination of lime juice, grenadine, Jamaican rum, and Curaçao liqueur. It is typically served over crushed ice and garnished with a slice of lime or orange.
The drink is said to have been created in honor of Admiral Schley, who was a close friend of Baker's. Schley was known for his love of rum, and the cocktail was created as a way to celebrate his achievements and honor his memory.
The Admiral Schley Punch is a classic rum-based cocktail that is perfect for large gatherings. Here is a recipe to make this drink:
- 1 bottle of dark rum
- 3 cups of lemon juice
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups of tea
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1 cup of pineapple juice
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 orange, sliced
- Nutmeg, for garnish
- In a large punch bowl, combine the lemon juice and sugar, and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the water, tea, orange juice, and pineapple juice, and stir to combine.
- Add the bottle of dark rum and stir again.
- Add the sliced lemon and orange to the bowl, and stir gently.
- Add ice to the bowl, and stir gently.
- Grate a little nutmeg over the top of the punch for garnish.
- Serve in small cups or glasses.
Enjoy your delicious Admiral Schley Punch!